Articles on: Sales Tax Autofile

How to setup Autofile for Alabama

This is a state-specific guide. Learn about setting up Autofile in general here.
Just finished registration? Please read the registration guide first.

Allow third-party access to My Alabama Taxes

A third party is an accountant, tax preparer, or payroll service provider that manages taxes for the taxpayer. A third party should use their own My Alabama Taxes (MAT) logon to manage those accounts. They should not ask for their client's MAT usernames and passwords.
NOTE: MAT does not allow third-party access to Individual Income Tax accounts

Where do I start?

While logged in to MAT, click the Profile Icon in the top-right of the page and select My Profile from the drop-down menu
Alternatively, click the My Alabama Taxes (Home) link to go to the page you see when you first sign in, then click the Manage My Profile link in the top-right of the page
Click the Other Actions... tab
NOTE: To manage third party access you will need a Full Access or Administrator MAT logon.

What do I do?

In the Access panel, click the Manage Third Party Access link
Next to the Allowed: label, you’ll see a link that displays the current setting for third party logons for this account. Click that link to change the setting.
NOTE: If third party access is enabled, you may configure a third party password by clicking the Set Password, or Update Password link. This password should be different from your own passwords, since you will give it to third parties.
Click OK to set the third party password

What does the Third Party need?

For the third party to add access to your account on MAT, they will need your Account Number, Sign On ID, and Access Code, as well as the Third Party password you created. The Sign On ID and Access Code were provided to you in a letter from the Alabama Department of Revenue; it is not your MAT username and password.

Provide Sales Tax Account IDs

Alabama has 2 different ways to setup sales tax accounts.

Simplified Sellers Use Tax (SSUT): Sellers charge a flat 8% rate, which includes both state tax and local tax. An eligible seller is one who sells tangible personal property or a service into the State of Alabama from an inventory or location outside the state but does not have a physical presence in the State of Alabama and who is not otherwise required by Sections 41-4-116 or 40-23-190, Code of Alabama 1975 to collect tax on sales made into the state. See official Alabama DOR documentation here. If you have this type of account, you do not need to provide the local account ID on the Autofile configuration form.
Separate State Use Tax Account and Local Use Tax Account: Sellers have 2 separate accounts and will need to file separately using My Alabama Taxes. Review this article for more information about the 2 separate accounts. Sidr Tax strongly recommend using Simplified Sellers Use Tax since it provides better compliance coverage. We can help you convert the account.

For more information, please visit the official My Alabama Taxes guide.

Updated on: 05/08/2024

Was this article helpful?

Share your feedback


Thank you!